Friday, June 18, 2010

Sweet heart beat...

It's been a couple of weeks since I updated the blog, so here goes! I had a Dr.'s appointment this morning where we got to hear our little sweet baby's heart beat. I loved it. I could've laid there and listened to that all day. I think Micah got a little misty eyed... I, surprisingly, did not get misty eyed but I am sooooo excited. My emotions are on a rollercoaster ride these days. I cried last week because I dropped a pickle. Actually cried. About 3 or 4 minutes later, I just started laughing at myself. Crying over a dropped pickle? Seriously, Rachel? Back to the doctor's visit... I also learned that even though I am gaining this crazy belly already, I have actually lost even more weight. I am at 129 pounds at around 5'8" and 3 and 1/2 months pregnant. But my appetite has seriously struggled over these last 3 months. For example, Micah and I went to Ramsey's the other night and I ate half of a baked potato and half of a side salad and I was absolutely full. I thought the nausea was over, but I've been feeling pretty nauseous again this week in the evenings. I threw up one evening this week and have just felt pretty blah the other evenings. Now, on to more fun things.... like the baby!
She/he is about 4 and 1/2 inches this week, or about the size of a navel orange and about 2 or 3 ounces. Being a math teacher, I know 1 ounce is the weight of about 1 slice of bread, so imagine holding about 2 or 3 slices of bread in your hand. The baby is practicing breathing, sucking, and swallowing this week to prepare for survival after birth. Baby can kick, curl it's little toes, and move it's arms and legs. The ears are moving to their permanent location on the side of the head, (no longer in the neck), and the eyes are now on the front of the face instead of on the side of it's head.
So.... a little input from you would be great! I am debating. I can wait until I am 20 weeks which is the end of July, (around July 30th), to find out the gender, or I can pay $50 and go to an ultrasound clinic and find out in 2-3 weeks. Should I pay the $50 and make an appointment? Or, should I just stick it out??? What do you all think? Leave a comment and let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I would just save your money and wait until the end of July!! :) I am sorry you are still sick by the way :(. -Ashley Hall

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who went and had the ultrasound earlier than 20 weeks. She was 16 or 17 weeks I think and was told it was a girl. Later found out it was actually a boy. She is waiting this time around until the full 20 weeks because she said it was hard emotionally to adjust to having a boy when she thought it was a girl.

    I feel ya on the not eating much thing. Nausea is much better for me but I just don't have much of an appetite at all and even if something looks great I just don't have the room to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will save my money. A friend of mine and her mom were trying to convince me to find out early a few weeks ago. I am sooo excited to find out!

    Genevieve, I'm glad your nausea is getting better!

    Thanks for the advice, girls!

    ReplyDelete