Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Getting Into the Swing of Things

Adia is so sweet. I had a lot of unrealized expectations before this baby came along. 1 expectation I had was to just be in a constant state of overwhelming butterfly love for this baby as soon as I saw her and for that to just flood in immediately and stay. However, I realized after I had her, that I was already in love with her while I was pregnant. It didn't hit me as soon as she was born, because I was already experiencing that emotion throughout the pregnancy. Don't get me wrong, I loved her on the day she was born, but the overwhelming butterfly love actually came when I read the plus sign on the pregnancy test. So, while I loved seeing her face for the first time, nursing her for the first time, and holding her close for the first time, it wasn't this huge overwhelming feeling that I was expecting. However, as every day passes, I get to know my daughter more and more, and the more I get to know her, the more I fall in love with her every second. Seriously... every second. Sleep is going much much MUCH better! During my last post was her most rough time we've had with sleep. I think she was just adjusting. I'm sure we will have some more rough nights, but ever since the last post I had on here, Adia has either slept through the entire night (in 7 or 8 hour stretches,) or she has slept for 5 hours straight, eaten, then 4-5 hours straight after that. So, it's been pretty good. We went to the doctor yesterday to make sure Adia's spit up was normal. I counted 30 spit ups on Monday. No, that was not a typo... 30! Not all of them were a large amount, but they were something. She had an ultrasound yesterday to make sure she didn't have pyloric stenosis, which would require surgery. She does not have it and she is just a "happy spitter." The doctor said it's very common and that she does have reflux, but that any medications won't stop the spitting up. The medications only help if the baby has pain while spitting up, which she doesn't seem to. The doctor said that she should grow out of it by around 9 months. So.... our water bill will probably be pretty high for the next 8 months or so! I am finally feeling back to normal. It is nice to be able to enjoy my baby and not worry about a cold, mastitis, the flu, or a UTI. I can just focus on her and not let my problems get in the way. My parents are coming to town this weekend. Micah and I are going to go out without Adia for the first time since she was born. We are going to the Melting Pot and to a movie on Saturday night. I will miss my baby, but I can't wait to date my husband again! We are getting our new camera today, so sometime this weekend, I will post some new pictures of Adia and some pictures from our date night. I am off to feed my baby! Speaking of feeding, for about the past 3 weeks, I've been using a shield to help her latch with feedings. However, this week, I've made it a goal to wean her off the shield. We haven't used it in a couple of days at all, and she is doing great! Instead of spending 20-3o minutes trying to latch, we are down to 0-4 minutes. This will make nursing so much easier. :) Happy snow day!

No comments:

Post a Comment