Wednesday, February 2, 2011

8 and 1/2 weeks old

Hey All. My little baby is not so little anymore... She turned 8 weeks old on Saturday and I just can't believe it. She is the cutest and sweetest thing I have ever seen. I've learned a lot over the last 8 weeks. It's crazy how your life changes so suddenly. Pregnancy was gradual. Your belly gradually gets bigger, you gradually get sicker, then gradually get better, you gradually gain weight, etc. None of those things happened in an instant for me. But it's amazing how becoming a mom literally happens in an instant. Nothing gradual. There's no way you can really prepare for it until you just experience it. I wish someone would've prepared me for the struggles that come at first, but it has truly been the most amazing and rewarding experience of my life. I love my baby. Here are some of my favorite things about being a mommy: Nursing: About 6-7 weeks ago, I never thought I'd be able to say this. At that point, I was about ready to give up. I was so sore, engorged, infected, you name it. She wouldn't latch, she was frustrated, I was frustrated, I was bleeding, and in a huge amount of pain. Having gone through all of that, my husband was so surprised that I stuck it out, but I am so glad that I did. Now, it does come natural. It is easy. It doesn't hurt. I can enjoy this bonding experience with my baby and know that I am giving her something that nobody else can. Every time I nurse her, I just have this cozy and sweet feeling toward her that I can't explain. It makes me feel like a mommy. Honestly, this is going to probably be the hardest thing about me going back to work. I'm going to miss nursing her throughout the day so much. I'll still nurse her in the morning before I leave and in the evenings, but I'll miss that contact with her throughout the day. I have been pumping every day to try to start building up a supply in the freezer. So far, I have about 80 ounces in the freezer. She eats about 3-4 ounces every 3 hours during the day and about 5-8 hours at night. Wake time: I love this time with Adia. Most people always want to hold a sleeping baby, which I totally understand because that is just precious. However, I absolutely love hanging out with Adia when she is awake. After I nurse her, I hold her on my lap and we just "talk." She has lots of smiles and coos when she hears my voice. We also sing at this time. She grins the most when I sing "How Much is That Doggy in the Window?" It's so cute. I can't wait until she can do the "arf arf" parts. She also loves to sit in her bouncer. Honestly, she likes that even more than her swing. The bouncer bounces when she kicks and moves and it also vibrates. It has these 2 little monkeys that dangle from the top. The monkey on the right side is her favorite. She smiles and coos and talks to him more than the other one. She hits them, but I don't think she does it on purpose yet. When she does hit them, she gets really excited and squeals. So so so SO cute! Micah and Adia: My 2 loves interacting together is my favorite sight to see. It just absolutely melts my heart to see her smile at her daddy and to watch him laugh. He can come home from a rough day at work and see her big smile and it just makes him laugh. I hate that Micah has to leave us in the mornings, but I love looking over to see him all dressed and ready for work, leaning over the crib to give his little girl a kiss goodbye. He's such a good daddy already and such an incredible help. Even though he works all day, he not only helps with her bath, but he is very detailed in cleaning every little (or big) crease, talking to her in the tub, putting lotion on her, changing her diaper, and getting her ready for bed. He changes her often and helps burp her all the time too. I'm so thankful for a husband who serves his family without 1 complaint. I could add to the list, but I have a baby who just woke up crying, a sink full of dishes to wash, a load of laundry to fold, a shower to take, and suitcases to unpack! Welcome to my life as a mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment