Monday, March 5, 2012

Updates and a Recipe :)

Snow!!  I cannot believe that we finally got a good snow here in Lexington this winter!  I teach in Fayette County, and until today, we have not had any snow days.  We had a 1 hour delay one morning a couple of months ago and we left 2 hours early on Friday for severe thunderstorms and possiblities of tornadoes.  On Friday, it was crazy stormy weather and almost 70 degrees.  This Monday morning, we woke up to 5 inches of snow on the ground.  Kentucky weather is pretty inconsistent!

The past week was really really rough.  Adia woke up on Monday with an awful stomach virus.  It looked like a bunch of college guys got together and had a kegger.  Then, dumped all their throw up in my daugthers crib...  while she was in it.  Needless to say, it was awful.  (See the previous post.)  She was pitiful and the sickness just kept coming, but in the form of diarrhea.  The diarrhea led to a horrendous diaper rash that we had to do treatments for.  Then, Micah and I both got the same awful stomach virus on Tuesday night.  It lasted until Thursday.  In the meantime, my mom came and got Adia and took her back to Ashland since Micah and I were too sick to care for her.  Our parents kind of just shipped her back and forth and loved on her for a few days.  I think they had a good time with our sweetheart.  :)  I was so sad that we all got so sick, but I'm glad that it happened before Isla came and not after. 

Today, I went in for my 37 week appointment.  I was 1 cm dilated and I've been completely thinned out for a long time due to this being my 2nd pregnancy and due to the pregnancies being so close together.  He said she could come tomorrow or in a couple of weeks.  In other words, there's really no telling.  When I had Adia, I was 38 weeks and 1 day.  She was 8 pounds and 4 ounces.  I had a vaginal delivery and due to her size, my healing and recovery were pretty difficult.  This baby is measuring about the same as Adia, meaning that she is measuring to be on the bigger side.  Because of this, he is going ahead and scheduling me to be induced on either March 20th or 21st.  I'll be 39 weeks at that point.  I barely made it past 38 with Adia though, so I'm thinking that I might have Isla before my scheduled day to be induced anyways.  Either way, I have about 2 weeks left (or even less) before this baby comes.  Physically, I can believe it.  I look and feel like I should've had this baby 4 weeks ago!  However, in other ways, I just can't believe it's so soon.  This pregnancy has flown by!  I didn't think we'd be a family of 4 for a few more years.  It's happening now in what's possibly a matter of days.  So hard to imagine, but so exciting.  :)

Adia had her 15 month checkup today.  She was in the 81st %ile for her height and 72nd %ile for her weight.  She says around 11 or 12 words, walks like a champ, points at her nose, head, shoulders, toes, mouth, eyes, belly, and ears.  She is the absolute sweetest thing in the world.  She loves to snuggle and often just walks up to me and raises her little arms.  I pick her up and she just hugs me and sits on my lap while reading a book, singing a song, playing with a toy, or watching cartoons.  So many kids at this age are just so busy.  She has her busy moments, but she is also very content to sit on my lap and snuggle.  I love being a mommy and I love love love my girl.  :)

As promised, here's a great and easy recipe.  I have to thank my mother in law for introducing me to this one.  She made this right after I had Adia.  I loved it then and I have made it countless times ever since.  The beef is so tender, sweet, and it just melts in your mouth.  You won't regret this one!  Here it is:

Sweet Italian Beef Sandwiches
Ingredients
  • 2-3 pounds of beef chuck roast
  • 1 (16 oz.) bottle of Italian dressing
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 T. Italian seasoning
  • 8-10 of your favorite sandwich buns

Directions
  1. Put the roast in a slow cooker.  Cover the roast with the bottle of Italian dressing and sprinkle the brown sugar on top.  Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
  2. Take the roast out of the crock pot and let it cool.  Leave the juices in the crockpot.  Once the roast is cool, shred it with two forks or with your hands.  Discard any fat.
  3. Put the shredded beef back in the crockpot with the juices.  Add the Italian seasoning.
  4. Stir the seasoning and beef mixture.  Serve on buns and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment