Friday, January 16, 2015

Hospital Bag and Diaper Bag Prep for Labor and Delivery

This is my third kid, so I've learned a few lessons about what I actually need/want in my hospital bag.  So, here's the scoop.

The Hospital Bag
1. A comfy outfit to wear home: yoga pants, socks, shoes I can slip on easily, a nursing bra, underwear, and a comfortable shirt.

2. A few disposable nursing pads.

3. Nursing sleep bra.

4. Travel size toiletries - I went to Meijer and bought things from the dollar bins.  I got body wash, shampoo and conditioner, deodorant, lotion, a toothbrush, and toothpaste.

5. Hair ties.

6. Hair dryer.

7. Thick and cozy socks.

8. Sanitary pads.

9. Bathing suit top - I know this is super weird to most people, but the reason for this is because the hospital has a birthing tub that I may try to use to help me get through the contractions.  I'd rather be partially decent while many nurses and doctors will be in and out of the room.

Things I will grab right before I leave:

- the camera
- phone charger
- makeup bag

 

The Diaper Bag


http://www.target.com/p/jeep-organizer-easy-access-back-pack-diaper-bag-grey-green/-/A-14566147#prodSlot=medium_1_7&term=diaper+backpack


This is the diaper bag I got.  It is a backpack.  I have 2 kids and a third on the way.  I find it way easier to throw on a backpack on my back with all of the other kids I have to keep an eye on and a baby to carry.  Plus, my husband liked this bag because it wasn't overly girly at all and he doesn't mind carrying it.

1. 3 outfits - 1 for the hospital stay and 1 for him to come home in.  Another is to keep in the bag for future accidents.

2. Several newborn diapers.

3. Diaper cream

4. Pacifiers

5. Disposable diaper sacks - at many doctor's offices, they will not allow you to throw away diapers in their facility, meaning you have to take the dirty diapers WITH you.  Gross.  These little sacks are scented and contain the odor much better than a grocery bag.

6. Wipes

7. Burp cloths

8. Bibs

9. Hats

10. Blanket

11. Hand sanitizer

12. Lotion

13. Nursing cover

14. Disposable nursing pads

15. Nipple shield - they often times have these at the hospital if necessary, but I have not had a baby at this hospital before and I know from my previous experiences with nursing that I always get engorged and the baby has a hard time latching.  This solves that problem and after a few weeks, my body gets used to nursing and the baby no longer needs the shield.

No comments:

Post a Comment